Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Dominion of the Daleks - an Introduction

 Originally published Monday, June 8th, 2020


Dominion of the Daleks title


After much too long, I'm decided to pull the sucker arm out of my sixth panel and finish the articles about my Dalek miniatures, and the game I created for them: Dominion of the Daleks. It's been a dream of mine for some time now: An easy to play game set in the universe of Doctor Who, the BBC's long-running science-fiction drama. Now, there are a number of unofficial Doctor Who wargames rules to be found already, and still more adaptations of established rules sets - so, why not just use one of those? Why, raw, insatiable ego, of course!

After years of flipping through rulebooks, any wargamer worth their dice collection contemplates writing their own rules, or, at least, modifying an existing set. Me, I've always wanted to have a go at writing a sci-fi game that reflects what I regard as the most essential quality of any game - does it give the players the sense that the troops they are commanding reflect the way the 'real' things would behave?

And of course, if we're dealing with the Doctor Who universe, things is a very apt choice of word... 

So, here is a collection of articles, cataloguing the experiences I had creating Dominion of the Daleks - a 'grand skirmish' style of multi-player wargame, that blends elements of many of my favourite rules with some innovations, to create a game anyone can play, but few can master - myself included, it seems! 

Over the next few weeks, I'll be revealing details on modelling and painting miniatures and scenery for Dominion of the Daleks as well as the design of the game itself. There will also be rules, cards, and templates to download for free. 

Fairly obviously, the inspiration for Dominion of the Daleks draws heavily on one particular race of evil-doers in the Doctor's universe - so, let's start with them… 

Click here for EXTERMINATE! Part One

No comments:

Post a Comment

 Star Wars Legion - A Wargame Far, Far Away... I've been working on a long commission of Star Wars Legion figures and vehicles over the...